Sunday, June 27, 2010

Change of Pace

After I crocheted and mailed two Superbowl scarves, I found that I was between projects. It's wa-a-ay too hot to be working on a one-piece afghan, and my weed-pulling muscles complain if I do too much crocheting.

Well, I dropped in to the Knit Night group on Thursday and saw them working on diagonal knit dishcloths. One lady had expanded the pattern to a diagonal knit afghan. While a single-piece afghan is not what I wish to do at the height of summer, I did like the idea of making a batch of the smaller squares and sewing them together.

I started with black yarn and size 10 1/2 needles. My pattern increases by one at the beginning of every row until I have 35 stitches across. Then I change to one of several colors and decrease one at the beginning of every row until I run out of stitches. I use garter stitch. With my particular tension, the squares are about 9" on a side.

When I sew these squares together, each black edge will touch a colored edge. All of the diagonal center lines will point to the middle. When I make a large square out of four smaller ones like this, it will form a pinwheel pattern.

I remember having one like this some years back. I liked it because it was light-weight, just about right for a spring and fall throw.

Two squares down and only 46 to go.

Happy crafting,
Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment