Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Yarn Arts

The fingers are slowly aging and, although I have to split up my time with needles and hooks so as not to cause myself damage, I've found other ways to use some of my stash. Loom knitting is easier on the joints (all except the knuckles of the right pointer finger) and then I decided to try a little weaving.

 I found my old metal pot-holder loom and learned how to wind yarn up and down to make a warp. Then, without breaking off, you take a bent wire and weave it through the warp. The bent hook part of the wire then pulls a strand across the loom and suddenly you've got a woven square. You can finish the square like a potmat or crochet an edge for it (one single or double crochet per peg - I think about a J hook size).

You can also make a stack of squares and braid, crochet, or sew the edges together. I've found patterns for purses, animals, placemats, and afghans. Here's a great place to start looking if you want a break from your crochet hook and/or knitting needles. http://www.angelfire.com/super/weavies/wevelink.htm

Happy crafting,
Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment