Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Honorable Mention

I started an afghan a number of years ago and tucked it away half done.  It is about to become my niece's Christmas present. Shhh, don't tell her.

As it is neither crocheted nor knitted, I'm adding this picture as an honorable mention.  The kind of mesh that is used for laundry bags, when cut in a good-sized piece and laid flat, can be woven in different patterns to make a light weight afghan.  It's very simple, requiring only a long yarn needle and strands of yarn. 

This is the simplest pattern.  The difficulty of the weave design progresses upwards from here, but none of it is terribly hard.


As usual, I have to fix the fringe before mailing it away, but you can see the general drift of the project.

If anyone is interested in finding some of the mesh, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.  I'd love to see this craft experience a revival like spool/loom knitting and card weaving have.

Happy crafting,

Kathi

P.S. If this craft is calling your name, I have recently begun a new blog just for mesh weaving. Please see http://meshweaver7.blogspot.com/.  Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. I am looking for some patterns for weaving in utility mesh. Do you have some of the patterns you can share, or can you point me in the right direction?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathi can probably help you and will be back in this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pull some patterns that I got with the kits. If you are willing to send me your email address, I should be able to scan them and send you the patterns. Send it to kathi@myjclibrary.org

    ReplyDelete