To everyone in Indiana who likes crafts or DIY projects - Good News!!
INSPIRE has added new sections. One has instructions, plans, tips, videos, and ideas for every kind of household project from plumbing to building a shed. I think I saw plans for constructing your own house, if you are that ambitious. Our shelver asked about building a guitar and I found him information on what kind of finishing varnishes to use.
Now, on to the really good stuff! Crafters - Wow!
Sewing, knitting and crochet have topic areas with smaller individual sections including patterns, instructions, and videos. The sidebar had a list of ideas for St. Patrick's Day. Other choices for crafting include beading, paper crafts, Chinese knotting, braiding, model building, kid's crafts, home and garden, performing arts, and a section each for indoor and outdoor recreation.
Got a bored child? Check around in this database (free from your state and library) and you will transform that child into a busy and entertained one.
All you have to do is click on a few links:
1. Go to www.myjclibrary.org
2. Click on the long bar at the bottom of the home page - Online Resources
3. Look at the choices and find INSPIRE (lower right).
4. Near the top of the page, under the tab that says "Advanced Search", click on the link that says "Search by database".
5. A long list shows up. It is in alphabetical order. Go down to "Hobbies and Crafts Reference Center" or "Home Improvement Reference Center".
6. Once you get to that page you can find ideas and follow links to your heart's delight.
By the way - did you notice all of the other treasures of information contained in INSPIRE as you went by them to get to these two choices? When you have picked your craft or project, hit the back arrow a couple of times and look through all the information you can access when you need it.