Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Tweeking a Pattern

You don't have to be "creative" to come up with a new pattern. You just have to want it to look a little bit different.

I started with this fan cluster pattern.


It's a simple pattern. Each row is basically the same except for how many double crochets start a row. The two colors and the wave design reminded me of tropical water. When my niece asked for a nautical pattern baby blanket and gave me her color scheme, it was a simple leap to add in a row of "foam" every third row. I also worked all three colors in the same direction and then turned the work. I did not cut the yarn after each row.


While I liked the pattern this way, I wanted the colors to be more tropical and I made the "foam" rows a little more random. I cut the yarn and turned the work after each row. I have to weave in the ends, but I like the effect.


At this point, I have made a new pattern. I didn't have to come up with a whole new idea. I just had to tweek an old one a couple of times.

Happy crafting,

Kathi Linz






No comments:

Post a Comment