Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Comment on Plarn

Sometime back, I was cutting plastic bags into loops and making things with the resulting yarn.  I crocheted a small rug, loom knit a purse, and made a few other things.  The biggest project I worked on and the one I still am adding to, is a plarn braid.  I'm braiding three strands together, making three braided strands, and braiding those three braids. 

I had thought to construct a clothes line out of plastic bags.  It makes sense.  Easy to keep clean, strong enough to carry a good load, and weatherproof.  I have about 30 yards of triple braid finished.  I had a plan to go up to 50 yards.

We had a garage sale and I decided to use my clothes line for hanging up shirts.  I stretched the braid between three of the posts on our porch and hung up the shirts.  For the next day and a half, almost every time I went out, I needed to tighten that line.  It stretched more than I would have thought.

So here's my conclusion.  I may not need to do any more braiding.  It will get to fifty feet without any more help from me.  Also, plarn may not be the best material for a clothes line after all.  I will figure out something useful to do with it, and eventually it will hit its maximum stretch.  Then we'll see how good a clothes line it makes.

Happy crafting.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment