Monday, September 14, 2009

Knitting looms

Knitting looms are supposedly the "new" hot idea for crafting. I admit that I have gotten into it pretty much wholeheartedly since it gives me a way to knit without using knitting needles. There are several pattern books available. One can knit anything from afghans to socks if you get a loom the right shape and with the right spacing of pegs.

As for being "new" - I remember knitting long skinny tubes exactly this way by using a wooden spool and a few nails. I remember trying to make a longer loom by hammering nails into the side of a 2 x 2 and giving it up as a lost cause because the nails were hard to work with and the wood snagged the yarn. I also remember the sweater-making looms where you would get the yarn started and then zip a sliding bar across the top and - voilĂ  - you had a fancy pattern.

I think I like the knitting looms because they are simple, and they remind me of my much younger days. I generally catch myself crocheting at something approaching the speed of light, so using the knitting loom slows me down. I can relax and enjoy what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment